Friday, April 3, 2015

Squabbie and Some New Linking Rules

Howdy and Shorah!

There is now a new resident on Relto Island: Squabbie! Everyone give a warm welcome to Squabbie!

 
Squabbie is intended to reference the Quabs in Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. In Skyrim she is a mudcrab retextured pink. I do hope to someday create a model for her that more closely resembles a Quab, but it will be a long time before that happens, if I ever am able to. She is an animal companion follower that can carry 100 Skyrim Weight Units and will help you fight enemies, although she does not do very much damage.


I have also made a few changes to the script for the portable Relto Linking Book. As before, when you use the book in Tamriel (or any non-Relto location), it will Link you to Relto. Now, it will save that location you Linked from. Then, if you use the book again while in Relto, it will return you to that location. This was done for convenience (so that the player does not have to travel back to where they Linked from upon returning to Skyrim), and also as a safeguard (in case the player Links on accident while in a place they cannot return to normally). Another new rule is that the player will only be Linked to Relto upon reading the book if they have a Relto book in their inventory. This way, if the player accidentally drops the book, they will be able to pick it back up without it linking them away before they can (since Skyrim forces the player to read books that are sitting out in the world).
I'm actually still trying to make a better safeguard for that but I'm not a scripting expert by any means :D


I also have some ideas for little hidden puzzles that might be part of Relto Island, but I won't say anything else about that for now because 1)  I want them to be difficult to discover and 2) I have no idea if I have the ability to do these puzzles the way I envision. So for now, they are entirely conceptual.

Happy Exploring!
Katelin

1 comment: